I’ve been longing for a comforting soup all winter. And this creamy butternut squash soup with coconut milk hits allll the right notes!
This creamy butternut squash soup with coconut milk has that melt-in-your-mouth goodness. It’s warm from cinnamon and cumin, and naturally sweetened from sweet potatoes and butternut squash. It’s rich from the coconut milk but also light and not weighed down from cream.
To start, sauté onions until they become soft. Then add in fresh garlic, sweet potatoes and vegetable stock. Cook for 20 minutes, add the rest of the ingredients in and blend until silky smooth. That’s it!
I totally recommend using an immersion blender here. The soup gets whipped up right in the pot, so there’s no need to transfer to a blender or food processor, and therefore no mess. 🙂
On top, I like to add a few things for flavor, and of course, that wow factor! An extra drizzle of coconut milk here not only takes the presentation of this soup up a few notches, but it adds a little touch of richness. It’s super creamy and delicious. Some sliced scallions and pomegranate arils, add color and end up adding a few good-for-us benefits!
For entertaining, this soup is a great choice. It comes together super quickly and easily. It also can be made in advance and brought out when needed, plus, it’s so pretty-it’s sure to impress!
Want more of a reason to make it? It’s non-dairy and healthy!
For the garnish: (You can do it, I promise!)
1. Drizzle a spoonful of coconut milk over a bowl of soup.
2. Slightly (I mean really slightly) swirl with a spoon.
3. Top with sliced scallions, pomegranate arils and serve warm. 🙂
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 leek, white and light green parts only, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 6 cups vegetable stock, divided
- 12 oz frozen butternut squash puree, thawed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 14 oz coconut milk, divided
- Pomegranate arils, for garnish
- Sliced scallions, for garnish
- In a large pot heat the oil over medium heat. Sauté the leek and yellow onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and sweet potatoes and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add in 4 cups of the stock, and bring to a boil. Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Add in the squash, cinnamon, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until completely smooth. Stir in the remaining 2 cups of stock and only 1 cup of the coconut milk. Heat through.
- Using the remaining coconut milk, drizzle a spoonful over each bowl of soup. Gently swirl with a spoon. Top with pomegranate arils and scallions.
Made this for dinner. It was so delicious!! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks so much Judy! Glad you guys enjoyed it 🙂