This Easy and Delicious French Onion Soup is one of the first soups I made for my husband when we first got married. There is something about being newly married that encourages you to cook dishes you have always wanted to, but never took the time to actually attempt before.
Maybe it was my new role of being a wife that encouraged me to undertake such a task. Whatever the reason, I was so proud when I made this soup, and even more proud that my husband absolutely loved it!
I think the most exciting part for me was to actually learn how to make soup without following a recipe. And to my surprise-it was soooo easy!
I usually have the same method. Start by sautéing onion and garlic, add some spices, veggies, broth and let it cook together. Then either leave it as is, or puree it. I still use this method today and it always works like a charm.
Now back to the soup…
This Easy and Delicious French Onion Soup is comforting, and slightly rich from the wine, and that gooey cheese topping? Hands down my favorite part. It may seem like the kind of recipe you only eat at restaurants, but i’m telling you, give this recipe a try! It’s so easy and rewarding to make yourself or for someone special 🙂
- 3 tabespoons oil
- 10 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 cups chicken, beef or vegetable broth
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- French bread, sliced
- Shredded gruyere or mozzarella cheese, optional for dairy
- Over a medium low flame, heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the onions, and cook for 30 minutes, mixing occasionally, until brown and caramelized. Then, mix in the garlic, salt, pepper and sugar, and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Stir in the broth, water, and wine. Cover and bring to a boil. Once the soup comes to a boil, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper to your liking.
- For dairy version, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the soup in oven proof bowls. Top each bowl of soup with one slice of French bread and then generously top with cheese. Place in the oven until cheese is completely melted, about 5-7 minutes.
- You can also simply top slices of bread with cheese, bake until melted, and then serve them on the side of the soup.