This recipe was adapted by accident-and luckily so, because it’s one of my favorites and I have a feeling it’ll be yours too.
A few years ago I was looking through the fridge for something to eat for lunch. I noticed some leftover roasted broccoli and decided to throw some things into it to make it more satisfying and interesting. We had fresh mozzarella and sprouts, so I threw those in. I added some pine nuts (because I throw them into everything) and I was delighted to find that my bowl of random ingredients was actually really delicious-all of the flavors complimented each other so well! I have never forgotten about that “recipe” and knew I wanted to share it with my readers, so… here it is!
Lemon Garlic Roasted Broccoli with Mozzarella is really easy, and so flavorful. The lemon broccoli is roasted on a high temperature to give a slightly crunchy and caramelized finish. It has an added freshness from the lemon juice and zest, while the peas add a nice sweetness. The mozzarella adds a meaty (but still light) texture and the pine nuts give a buttery crunch! All of these flavors are the perfect compliment to one another.
Wish I had a bowl right now…
- 2 large heads of broccoli
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 16 oz log fresh mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2 cups frozen peas, defrosted and room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut the broccoli florets from the stalks. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil.
- Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until crisp and tender and the tips of most of the florets are browned.
- Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, mozzarella, pine nuts and peas.
- Serve warm and enjoy!