I love this appetizer. I should warn you though, these nuts are absolutely irresistible! They have so-much-flavor (in my opinion they taste like pizza) and are so satisfying. They make for a great snack for yourself or appetizer for a party and will surely be a recipe you end up making more than once.
Another fact about this tasty treat is that they freeze well in an airtight container for up to 4 months. Perfect for whipping out for last minute guests!
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 cups unsalted mixed nuts of your choice*
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 225 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a food processor fitted with a steel blade, combine the egg whites, basil leaves, salt, pepper and garlic. Pulse until mixture is combined.
- In a separate bowl, toss the egg mixture with the mixed nuts. Let sit for 5 minutes and then mix in the Parmesan cheese.
- With a slotted spoon, place the coated mixed nuts on the prepared baking sheet, leaving any excess liquid in the bowl.
- Spread the nuts in a single layer and bake for 30 minutes tossing with a spatula every 15 minutes, until the nuts are dried and crispy. Let cool and enjoy!