Raise your hand if you’re looking for a new chicken recipe!
I don’t know about you but I’m allllways looking for vibrant and delicious new chicken recipes. With, of course, an easy but beautiful presentation.
So I was really excited when I came up with this new recipe for red wine BBQ chicken. It’s the perfect late summer recipe.
The sauce is sweet from honey and brown sugar, tangy from fresh lemon juice and rich from the red wine. It also has a bunch of spices like cinnamon, paprika and chili powder that balance out all the wonderful flavors.
I guarantee you’ll be happily licking your fingers with this easy red wine BBQ chicken recipe.
And that special presentation? It’s so simple to create!
Simply place all the cooked chicken down the center of a large platter, add large abundant bunches of concord grapes to the corners, and garnish it all with lemon wedges and lots of fresh herbs.
There is something about fresh, uncooked garnishes that I have always loved. Whether it’s fresh flowers on a pie or cake, fresh fruit on a dessert platter or a big bunch of fresh herbs with chicken. Adding a fresh element to a recipe really elevates the dish. It adds color to the presentation, offers variety and contrast to the plate, and in my opinion, creates a youthful and modern appearance. All of which adds that wow factor that I love.
So don’t skip on the presentation. It’s such an easy way to up your BBQ chicken game. 😉
The best part however?? It’s all so ridiculously easy to make! Here’s how I did it:
For the sauce, simply sauté the onion and then the garlic, mix in the rest of the ingredients and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Brush it all over your chicken and grill until cooked through. Then arrange and garnish your platter (see above).
And voila! In about an hour this vibrant, feel-good, tangy, and rich chicken recipe can be on your summer table!
- 1 cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more if you like it really spicy)
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 12 mixed pieces of chicken thighs and bottoms
- Concord grapes
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- Fresh mint, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- In a saucepan over a medium flame heat the oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in the tomato paste, honey, vinegar, sugar, wine, chili powder, paprika, cinnamon, salt, cayenne, and lemon juice and simmer on low for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat your grill.
- Brush the chicken with the sauce, making sure to brush under the skin as well.
- Place the chicken on the grill, skin side down, and cook for about 35-45 minutes, turning once or twice to cook evenly on both sides. The chicken is done when you insert a knife in the chicken and the juices run clear.
- To serve place the cooked chicken down the center of a large platter. Add large bunches of concord grapes where there is room. Garnish with lemon wedges and fresh mint and basil. Brush the chicken with more sauce.
- Place any remaining sauce in a bowl and serve on the side.