You can find my pesto recipe HERE.
Roasted Tomato Soup Topped with Pesto
Author: Rachel Kor
Recipe type: Soup
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, cut in half
- Olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 yellow onions, chopped
- 7 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (28-ounce) canned plum tomatoes, in juices
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- Pesto for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the tomatoes on a baking sheet lined with foil. Toss the tomatoes with oil, salt and pepper and spread in a single layer. Roast for 45 minutes.
- In a stockpot over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add the onions and garlic. Cook for 7-8 minutes, then add canned tomatoes with their juices, heat for five minutes. Add basil, stock and oven-roasted tomatoes (with all of the pan juices). Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Use an emulsion blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon pesto over the top and serve.