This is my go to steak recipe, and it’s always a hit! The cumin and garlic make this really flavorful and the brown sugar gives it a wonderful sweet and caramelized flavor.
To make this dish a bit more fresh and seasonal, I decided to add a fresh herb chimichurri sauce over the top. Since I don’t have a big garden of herbs and flowers (yet), I have some indoor potted herbs that I love to make use of in the spring and summer months. I grabbed some parsley, cilantro and basil from the pots and they were the perfect addition! Instantly it took my year round steak recipe and turned it into a fresh summer dish!
Any herbs go great with steaks-I think next time I’ll try adding rosemary to it.
- 1.5 - 2 pound steak of your choice (about 2 inches thick)
- For Roasted Garlic Chimichurri Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 10 garlic cloves
- Juice of 2 lemons
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- ½ cup oil, as needed
- For the Steak Rub:
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- Preheat the grill.
- For the chimichurri sauce, in a small pot, heat oil over medium low heat. Place garlic cloves in and cover. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool and strain out oil.
- Combine the rest of the chimichurri ingredients and cooled garlic in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until combined. Set aside.
- For the steak rub, mix together all ingredients in a small bowl. Rub the steak rub onto the steak on both sides.
- Brush the grill with oil and place the steak on the hot grill. For medium rare, cook the steak for 5 minutes on the first side, flip and cook for another 4 minutes on the second side. Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into to prevent the meat from losing its juices.
- Place the steak on a serving platter and spoon the roasted garlic chimichurri sauce over the meat. Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply