Warning: This recipe is addicting!
I figured it was time to share this AMAZING popcorn recipe with the world. My family and friends are obsessed with it! And when I say obsessed, I mean obsessed.
I always try to turn a basic recipe into a gift, and this recipe is one of those recipes.
I love receiving homemade gifts. Something I know someone put time and thought into, and it never hurts for it to be beautiful and delicious. How great do these look in simple clear bags with some long ribbon? Simplicity at its best!
The popcorn is coated in a delicious sweet and salty caramel, and, my secret ingredient, tahini!
If you’re unfamiliar with tahini, think peanut butter with a twist! It has a smooth, deep nutty flavor and although more commonly used with savory dishes, it goes perfectly with sweets! Yup! So next time you’re adding peanut butter to a recipe, try using tahini instead.
This tahini caramelized popcorn is also chock-full of amazing goodies like pretzels, halva, salted peanuts and melted chocolate. You can’t get more indulgent than that my friends.
Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ cup popping corn
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Salted Tahini Caramel:
- ¼ cup oil
- ⅓ cup corn syrup
- ½ cup tahini paste
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups pretzels sticks
- 16 oz halva, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 11.5 oz milk chocolate chips, melted
- Sesame Seeds, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add the oil, popping corn and salt. Cover with a lid and wait for the kernels to start popping, it should take 3-5 minutes. Once all the popcorn is popped, transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Rinse the pot out and dry it. Over medium heat, add the oil, corn syrup, tahini, sugar and salt. Stir and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the baking soda and vanilla together. Add this to the caramel and stir until combined. Turn off the heat and pour the caramel over the cooked popcorn. Using a large spoon, toss to coat.
- Place the popcorn mixture onto the prepared baking sheet, spreading it out evenly. Bake for 30 minutes until golden, mixing it around every 15 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Once the popcorn is cooled break it into smaller pieces.
- Add the pretzels, halva and peanuts to the popcorn and toss to combine. Spread into an even layer.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate evenly over the popcorn, then sprinkle with sesame seeds. Place in the refrigerator and allow the chocolate to dry, about 20 minutes.