These thin and crispy french fries are always a hit in my house. They are crispy and crunchy, almost like the potato stick snacks we ate as kids, except these are homemade and so delicious. They pair great with most dinners especially BBQ’s.
Warning: these are addicting!
Try to cut the potatoes as thin as you can. This will make for really thin and crispy fries!
- 6 russet potatoes, peeled
- Canola oil
- Kosher salt
- Rinse the peeled potatoes, then cut them into sticks. I cut each potato into 4 or 5 vertical pieces, then I cut each piece into thin sticks. Put the sticks into a large bowl, cover with water and let them sit for 1½ - 2 hours. Every 45 minutes or so pour out the starchy water and add fresh water.
- Drain the water and lay the potato sticks on baking sheets lined with layers of paper towels. Blot them to dry completely. (Water and oil don’t mix).
- Heat a few inches of oil in a heavy pot until a deep-fry thermometer reaches 300 F. In 4 separate batches, cook the sticks until soft and pale, about 2 minutes.
- Once all the potato sticks have been fried once, turn the heat up to 400 F and fry the sticks in 4 separate batches again until golden and crispy, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with salt.
- Serve and enjoy!